Blue Shark and Mako Expedition
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico April 23-29, 2017
Thank you for your interest in the Blue Shark and Mako Expedition to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico! We will be snorkeling and freediving with blue sharks and makos (and any other pelagic species that might show up!), and also spending a day scuba diving in the pristine marine reserve at Cabo Pulmo. We will have a small group (only 7 divers), ensuring a more personable experience. If after reading this information sheet you have any questions, or if you would like to make reservations, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be snorkeling, freediving, and scuba diving with the professional, experienced staff at Cabo Shark Dive (www.cabosharkdive.com) aboard their 34ft yacht Blue Star. The Blue Star boasts a comfortable air-conditioned cabin where guests can relax while making the trip out to the dive sites. Cabo Shark Dive specializes in taking their guests to areas not frequented by tourist operations, therefore allowing interaction with the sharks in an uncrowded environment. Water visibility varies from 40-100 feet, and water temperatures this time of year tend to be around 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Depending on the dive location, it may take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to reach the site. The duration of the trip each day is 6-9 hours. Although blue sharks and makos are common, we may also see other shark species including silky sharks, smooth hammerheads, thresher sharks, and even whale sharks!
Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve:
One day of the expedition will be devoted to diving at Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve, located to the northeast of Cabo San Lucas. Private transportation will be provided to the dive site, where we will enjoy two dives in what is known as one of the most successful marine reserves in the world. This area is world famous for its massive schools of bigeye trevally, and it is visited regularly by marine mammals such as humpback whales. Cabo Pulmo is the nesting ground for leatherback and olive ridley sea turtles, and is also known for its resident bull sharks and sea lions.
Travel To/From Cabo San Lucas
Several major airlines fly in and out of Los Cabos International Airport (airport code SJD). Upon arrival at Los Cabos on April 23, guests will be provided with private transportation to our accommodations at the Solmar Resort. Guests will also be provided with private transportation back to the airport on April 29.
We will be staying at the beautiful Solmar Resort in Cabo San Lucas (www.solmarcabosanlucas.com). Rooms are double occupancy, and each will have views of the Pacific Ocean. The Solmar sits directly on an expansive white sand beach, and has several restaurants on the resort grounds. The location is ideal, being just a short walk from the shops and restaurants of downtown Cabo San Lucas. From the resort, the marina where we will be boarding the Blue Star is just a short 15-minute walk away.
Price and Payment
The price for the trip is $2150 USD per person. This price includes:
- 4 full days of shark snorkeling/freediving plus one day of 2-tank dives at Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve (tanks and weights included)
- 6 nights of accommodations at the Solmar Cabo San Lucas resort (double occupancy), including continental breakfast
- Marine park entrance fees
- Round trip private transportation to/from Los Cabos International Airport
- Round trip private transportation between Cabo San Lucas and Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve
- Lunch box, water, and sodas on the boat every day
The price does NOT include the following:
- Airfare to/from Cabo San Lucas
- Any additional gear besides tanks and dive weights
- Crew gratuities
A 50% deposit of $1075 is due at the time your reservation is made. If you cancel your reservation, the deposit is fully refundable up until 6 months prior to the first day of the trip. After this date, the deposit is nonrefundable. The remaining balance is due 90 days from the first day of the trip. Payments may be made by check or through PayPal (note: there will be a 3% fee for payments made through PayPal, 3.9% if the payment is international). If you would like to pay by check, please contact me at email@example.com for the mailing address to send the check to. Travel insurance is highly recommended to recoup your costs in the event that you must cancel.
What You Will Need To Bring
- Dive certification cards
- All scuba gear except tanks and weights. Water temps this time of year are between 65-75F, and we will be in the water for extended periods, so be sure to bring adequate exposure protection. A hood and gloves are also recommended. Please DO NOT wear anything brightly colored or shiny while in the water, especially anything colored yellow, silver, white, or red. Dark colors are best.
- Personal items (clothing, toiletries, etc.)
- Photography gear (don’t forget extra o-rings and batteries!)
- Dive insurance (e.g., Divers Alert Network)
It is highly recommended that you have travel insurance for this trip to recoup your costs in the event that you must cancel your reservation. If you are an underwater photographer, I also urge you to consider insuring your photography equipment if you have not already done so. If you would like any recommendations for travel insurance or photography equipment insurance, please feel free to contact me.
If you have any questions, or if you are ready to make your reservation, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope to see you in April 2017!